Thursday 10 October 2013

World Mental Health Day 2013 - A Little Talk On People's Views

So here I am, sitting watching Waterloo Road, when suddenly I realise, I haven't done a blog today! Now normally, theres nothing wrong with that. But today is World Mental Health Day, and I have to write something at least.

Every year, 1 in 4 people will suffer from some form of mental illness. Some of these are lifetime, like me and others with Asperger's and autism, and some last less time, like depression. But the one thing we all have in common is the feeling of difference. That theres something not quite right, or odd. This is where everyone else comes in. Either people accept the difference, and help them, and learn to understand, or they discriminate. More and more people are choosing to help, but it can still be a problem.

I'm always told that I'm 'brave', because I openly discuss my Asperger's,  and I freely talk about it. But I dont feel brave or courageous because of it. I do it because I want to help others understand, and because it's easier to cope when other people know what I'm dealing with. I'm surrounded by supportive friends and family, many of whom have their own difficulties, and can at least relate to my situation. But a lot of people don't have that luxury. They're around people who either don't understand, or don't want to. I want to live in a world where it doesn't take a 'brave' man to stand and say 'I have autism', or 'I have depression'. A world where all people can just get along, regardless of their mental state. You wouldn't reject a black man for his differences, or person with one leg, would you? And so there is no reason to reject us either.

This is one of the main reasons have this blog, to raise awareness of my particular disorder, and to help everyone understand. I hope that one day, there won't need to be any self-advocates, or demonstrations, or marches, because we will all understand and accept each other. After all, we are all human.

Chris.

No comments :

Post a Comment