Thursday 28 November 2013

Busy Busy Busy! Vlogging and Self Advocacy

As has become the norm for me, as soon as I published my last post I promptly became so busyand forgetful that I immediately forgot to update this blog for the next three weeks. But I'm finally back! No idea if I'll be back for long, or if I'll just end up disappearing again, but I'm here for now at least.

First off, I owe you guys an explanation for my repeated absences, and the reason for this one. I've explained in previous blogs how hard it is for me to stay organised, and that's really been the problem. There's been so much stuff going on in my life that this little blog got a little bit left behind. It's not that I don't want to blog, it's just that by the time I've done everything being thrown at me, and cooled down afterwards, I tend to just want to go to sleep. I know my friends and family are probably thinking 'Oh come on, you're not doing that much, and I suppose that technically they're right. But in my head, it's hard to bounce between even two tasks without starting to forget about one, and it's even harder to prioritise. It takes a lot of thought and willpower to keep myself running, but of course no one ever sees it. That's kind of the point.

Anyway, enough about my organisational problems, let's move on to what's actually been going on. In the time I've been gone, I sent off my UCAS application to my five uni choices. And just in the last few days, I got a reply from two of them. Lincoln gave me a decent offer for their Computer Science course, which I should easily manage, but I've got my eyes set on the second one. I got an offer from Glasgow! Seriously, with the exception of a fatal accident, I can't see much getting in the way of my drive to get into Glasgow now. I don't care that I need a couple of resits, or that I'm ending up with 9 exams at once, I'm determined to get in. Which is weird, thinking about it... It's really not very often that I'm so certain of something. You could say I'm normally kind of scared to commit to an idea in case it's wrong. But let's not go into thjat right now, that's for one of my deep introspectiver sessions I tend to do at stupid-o'clock in the morning.

Anything else going on? Well, yes actually. I said I haven't thought about my blog much, and while that's technically true, I haven't left it entirely alone. (Do you like the new slightly ginger coloured header?) In truth, I've actually spent quite a lot of time thinking about the sister project: the vlog. As I said in my last post, with the vlog I could potentially reach a much larger audience. And I can be so much more expressive! I can edit, and talk freely, have actual tone of voice instead of bold and italics, and just be so much more creative! I really think, with the right application of effort, I could have something here. I mean, how often have you browsed the web for advice, or help, and just thought 'Is there not just a youtube video for this?'. If I can start this up properly, maybe with one video a week at first, I can cover so many more topics, and illustrate them much better than I could with mere written words.

The final point I'd like to make is on the topic of self advocacy. There is quite a big self advocacy movement within the Aspie and autistic community, but big charities like Autism Speaks seem to drown us out. I won't go into why I dn't like Autism Speaks right now, but suffice to say I'd much rather have the voices of others like me heard than the voices of someone 'speaking for us'. With my vlog I can quite literally speak for myself, and hopefully get in contact with others like me, and maybe even get a little community going. Incidentally, my inspiration for this came from one of the oldest vlogging communities out there: The Nerdfighteria created by the vlogbrothers. I'm proud to call myself a Nerdfighter, and I'd like John and Hank Green to know they've helped yet another slightly out of place teenager in me.

Watch this blog and my channel for the first vlog coming soon!

See you soon, Chris

No comments :

Post a Comment