Saturday 18 January 2014

It's Saturday! You know what that means...

Yeah. It means I have to do my Saturday post. I really should have planned this better, I haven't given myself enough time to get things done this week. So, what to talk about...

Let's talk about music! I did say my Saturday posts won't necessarily be about autism, or even be serious at all. But don't worry, Wednesdays will be as fact filled and informative as I can manage.

Music is an interesting thing. Done properly, it can cause total mood changes, bring people out of moods, put other people in them, and do many other things. People argue over the different genres, and even about definitions within particular genres. In fact, some of the most vicious arguments I've seen have been about whether a particular band should be in this genre or that one.

So what is it about music that gets people going? And why do people like different kinds? Is it the rhythm? The particular sequences of notes? The sense of community gained from listening to the same music as other people? I suppose it's probably a mix of them all.

Personally, I'm a big fan of music. I like a lot of different types, from old pop to a little bit of classical, but the bulk of my collection is composed of rock and metal. It seems quite a few people think that's an odd choice for someone who is as 'academic' as me, but I tend to think the opposite. For me, rock and metal have a complexity and structure that mainstream music like radio pop just doesn't. I don't want to listen to people who are guaranteed a top 10 hit by releasing the same thing over and over, I want to listen to music with depth and focus. Music that was made to be popular just doesn't appeal to me at all.

Of course, not all modern pop is like that, some of the singers are genuinely moving and sincere, especially the singer-songwriters. It happens that I don't personally like most of their work, but I appreciate and respect it. The same goes for rock, there are a lot of bands who also put out the same thing over and over again. Unsurprisingly, again they are the most likely to be heard on the radio. Nickelback I'm looking at you.

So, other than the style and sincerity of the music I like, what else makes me like it? I suspect the biggest reason is obvious when you take a step back and look. It's my friends. Most of my friends like rock and metal, hence I do also. I'd assume that's why mainstream pop is so popular. If a large group of people like it, other people can like it and fit in, thus attracting ever more people. For mainstream pop it also helps that there's practically nothing else on the radio. The stuff is unavoidable! It would certainly be a lot easier to just listen to it and be done with it.

I think that people should listen to whatever music they like, whatever makes them feel happy. Or feel anything really, depending on what they're after. I just wish they could find it themselves, rather than having mass marketed noises parceled up and thrown at them constantly.

So, that's my two pence for the day. I hope you don't mind me having opinions on Saturdays; it's often said that the internet is the worst place to have an opinion. Anyway, that's it for the day, see you on Wednesday!

Chris

No comments :

Post a Comment